Going into an alcohol detox center can be a scary prospect. But, it doesn’t necessarily have to be. Many people choose to go into alcohol detox centers so that they can get the support that they need and tackle their drinking problem once and for all. Alcohol detox centers are rehab facilities that specialize in helping people get sober by treating withdrawal symptoms and putting them through a complete detox process.
People who are going through an alcohol detox will often report feeling nauseous, vomiting, or having diarrhea throughout their stay. Some may even end up feeling dizzy or having seizures as this is known as the “recovery crisis” and is one of the most common side effects of alcohol withdrawal.
Why Is An Alcohol detox Necessary?
Alcohol is a depressant, which means that when you drink it, it slows down your brain activity. Slowing down your brain activity with alcohol can cause feelings of relaxation and pleasure. However, this is a very unhealthy state and you can end up doing a large variety of things while in this state. A big part of this problem is that alcohol is a toxin. When you drink it, it enters your bloodstream and affects your organs and tissues, which is why you may experience symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. These are all signs that your body is trying to eliminate the toxins that are caused by alcohol. If you don’t stop drinking, your body will continue to be affected, causing your organs to shut down. In order to get out of this bad habit, you have to detox, meaning that you have to remove these toxins from your body. This is why going into an alcohol detox is a vital part of addiction recovery.
The Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawal
- Nausea – Feeling nauseous is a common side effect of alcohol withdrawal. As your body tries to get rid of the toxins from alcohol, it will often cause nausea as a way to rouse you from your happy state. You may feel nauseous for several hours after your first drink, but you may also experience nausea for a few days after stopping drinking.
- Vomiting – As your body is trying to get rid of the toxins from alcohol, it may also cause you to vomit. This vomiting is often caused by the irritation that your stomach has when you try to rid it of alcohol. The vomiting will usually stop on its own after a few hours, and you are safe to eat again.
- Diarrhea – Alcohol is a toxin that affects the intestines, causing diarrhea. The diarrhea will usually stop on its own after a few hours and you are safe to eat again.
What Happens In An Alcohol Detox Program?
During an alcohol detox program, you will be required to stay in the detox facility for a certain period of time. This is to ensure that you are completely detoxed from alcohol and that you don’t go back to drinking. Many alcohol detox centers will have you sleep in a medically controlled environment, with medically controlled lighting and temperatures. This allows your body to detox at a healthy pace, without any external factors such as sunlight or heat making you sick. During your detox, an alcohol detox nurse will help monitor your condition and deal with any complications. You will usually undergo many different treatments, from taking medications to address the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal to physical therapy to help you recover from the damage that alcohol has done to your body.
Are There Any Benefits of an alcohol Detox program?
The most immediate benefit of an alcohol detox program is that you will be completely detoxed from alcohol, which will help prevent you from going back to drinking. This is especially beneficial if you have a problem with alcohol that you haven’t been able to handle before. It can help you get the treatment you need to quit drinking and prevent you from relapsing in the future. There are also many benefits that come from the longer-term effects of going through an alcohol detox program.
The most obvious one is that you will be completely detoxed from alcohol, which will prevent you from having to go through withdrawal again. This can save you a lot of time and hassle. Another benefit of an alcohol detox program is that it will help you get treatment for your alcohol addiction. If you have a drinking problem, staying in an alcohol detox center can give you the support that you need to tackle the issue head on.
Finding a good alcohol detox center
Finding the right alcohol detox center can be difficult, but if you are careful, it can be done. There are a few things that you will want to make sure of when looking for an alcohol detox center.
- Make sure that the center is regulated – While many detox centers will be regulated, there are some that will not be. Make sure that you are only visiting a properly regulated center, as this will ensure that you are getting the best care possible.
- Make sure that the center is a good fit – Even if the center is regulated and licensed, that doesn’t mean that it is the best option for you. You will want to make sure that the center is a good fit for your needs, including what services it provides and what type of people it attracts.
- Make sure that the center is affordable – One of the best ways to make sure that you are getting the most value out of your money is to make sure that the center is affordable. You will want to make sure that you can easily afford the fees, insurance, and food that the center provides.
Alcohol use can be dangerous, and that is why it is so important for people to learn about alcohol detox centers and the benefits of going through an alcohol detox program. Withdrawal from alcohol can be incredibly dangerous, but with the right medical care, it can be done safely. Alcohol detox centers are a great way to get clean, as they will help you get rid of the toxins in your body that alcohol has caused.
The first true step in the admissions process is reaching out to a detox center to let them know you are coming. Give us a call today at 833-497-3812 and we’ll help you set up your first stage of detox treatment.